I love the movie P.S. I Love You. It makes me laugh. It makes me cry. It makes me happy. I watched it the other night with one of my best friends and a particular line stood out to me. The movie is based on a book by Cecilia Ahern and the screenplay of the movie was written by Richard LaGravenese and Steven Rogers. I'm not sure whom to give credit to, so I'll just discuss both a bit.
Cecilia Ahern is an Irish novelist. She was also behind the recent TV series Samantha Who? that starred Christina Applegate. In addition to publishing several novels, she has also contributed a number of short stories to various anthologies, for which all her royalties go to charity. Pretty cool, huh?
Richard LaGravenese is a screen writer and an occasional film director. He directed P.S. I Love You and contributed to the screen play. I can't find anything about Steven Rogers. Sorry, Steven!
"If we're all alone, then we're all together in that too."
I make it no secret that I don't enjoy being single. It's boring to me. I have never been somebody who loses my identity as an individual when I'm in a couple. I always manage to do what I want to do, when I want to do it, and include my other half in my life, as well as eagerly enter theirs when I'm allowed to. I enjoy being with somebody. Obviously, the physical attention is always nice, but what I love is the emotional attention. The partnership. The teamwork aspect. The knowing that you have a cheerleader and challenger in your corner all at the same time. And being alone can be downright depressing. And it often feels like I am the only one who's alone. Though I know that's not true, it feels like that sometimes.
Well, these days that is no exception. I remain single after my devastating heartbreak this spring. But plenty of my friends, both old and new, are alone as well. Or at least not in a couple. We all have that in common.
So maybe alone isn't the right word. Maybe we should change the phrase to being "alone together." Let's make that happen, people!