Thursday, November 17, 2011

Erma Bombeck

Here's one I found in a random quote book while staying at the lovely Country Inn and Suites in Hershey, PA. It's by the witty Erma Bombeck, an American humorist popular from the 1960's-1990's. I can only assume she was an animal lover. . . .

"Cats invented self-esteem."

HOW TRUE IS THAT STATEMENT? I mean, really?! I don't understand people who say that they "hate" cats or dogs. Or any animal for that matter. I understand people who are allergic or prefer a certain pet to another, but to actually hate an animal. . . well, that's just something I will never understand. Personally, I love animals. Truly, I am the girl who stops strangers on the street to talk to their dogs, who pets any stray cat that crosses my path, who has been known to talk to the random ducks or deer meandering in my parents' yard in Michigan. I just love animals. They fascinate me in a "survival of the fittest" complicated way, but at the same time, make me smile in the simplest/purest-form-of-joy way.

I grew up having cats as pets and have one of my own now, and this statement strikes me as the perfect tag line for cats. So I just wanted to share it. It really is that simple. No analysis necessary!