Friday, September 16, 2011

Russell Baker

Russell Baker is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American writer known for his satirical commentary and self-critical prose. I only wish he were a Canadian because I write this while I'm in Canada, and playing a tourist myself!


"The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist."

This is SO true. I love doing touristy stuff when I'm on the road. I always try to see the things that are "not to be missed" or "once in a lifetime" opportunities. But I am very aware of wanting to blend in. In some circumstances, it's for safety reasons - it's the unaware tourists who often find themselves dealing with pick pockets and scams. But most of the time, it's just so that I don't stand out like a sore thumb. Though I have to say, even in my most casual garb here in Banff, Canada, there is NOTHING about me that looks like a local. Canadians look so natural - comfortable and a little bit hippie. I, on the other hand, even hiked in my lululemon yoga gear (which is happily a Canadian brand!), my big wrap sweater, my floppy hat and had a camera around my wrist. And that was just for a hike. Now imagine me walking around in my black trench coat and big brown hat, with my purse AND my bag of other stuff. I just look a New Yorker.

 . . . Though that might just be because I'm so frigging excited to see open space. Canadians look at me like "uh. . yeah. . . "