Friday, June 24, 2011

Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller

I was thinking this morning about who coined the phrase "drink and dial" and this quote seems appropriate given where my head is at.

Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller was a German poet, philosopher, historian and playwright. Beethoven and Goethe were a few of his famous friends and admirers of his work. Beethoven's setting of "An die Freude" (Ode to Joy) was based on one of Schiller's poems.

"When the wine goes in, strange things come out." 
 
Seriously. . . this is SO true. Whether it's the drink and dial, being more carefree, saying too much, whatever - we have all been there. Often we say things we regret, I think. But sometimes there are moments of brilliance. Of clarity. Things you'd never say without a little liquid courage. (There's another phrase I wish I knew where it came from!)

I'd like to thank wine for the latter and curse it for the former this week. Well, not just this week. .