Rabbi Nahman of Bratslav has many names on the internet. Here's what I know for sure: he lived in the late 18th and early 19th century; he was Jewish; his religious philosophy revolved around closeness to God and speaking to God in normal conversation "as you would with a best friend." The second, I realize is a "duh" but it had to be said.
"If you won't be better tomorrow than you were today, then what do you need tomorrow for?"
Wise words. I'm always trying (key word being trying) to be better than I was before. Aren't we all? I hope we all are. We all want to learn, grow, not make the same mistakes twice, etc. There is a similar Gandhi quote (or I'm pretty sure it's Gandhi) that says something to the effect of "if you aren't growing, you're dying."
Any life, any relationship, any career. . . the second you think you know it all, that there is nothing else to learn or improve upon, you might as well stop. Give up. Quit. Cuz you are useless if you truly believe you, or your relationship, or your career is perfect. There is NO SUCH THING. Perfect is fictional.
I think the Rabbi was onto that concept. Or maybe ahead of his time. Status quo can be so boring. "Maintaining" alone. . . what's the point? Constantly at least try to improve. Try to learn. Try to grow.
There is always room for improvement in this world.