Sunday, July 10, 2011

US Post Office inscription in Washington, D.C.

I like mail. I've always liked mail. I like getting it. I like sending it. There is something romantic and exciting about getting mail.  The anticipation of opening up the mailbox to see what treasures and surprises await is one of life's simple pleasures for me.

"Messenger of sympathy and love, servant of parted friends, consoler of the lonely, bond of the scattered family, enlarger of the common life." 

That's what is inscribed on the US Post Office in D.C. How beautiful is that?!

Do I send sympathy cards? Yup. Do I send cards to friends? Yup. Do I send cards saying that I just miss you and love you? Yes, depending on who you are. Do I send mail to my family? All the time. Is my life made better every time I get my InStyle, Time Out NY or Family Circle Magazines? Yes, it is! Talk about enlarging the common life!

If only bills didn't come in the mail. I scold my postman when he leaves me bills. I say "no bills, please. Try another mailbox!" And yet he still gives them to me, the jerk.

Notice the lovely inscription says nothing about bill delivery.