Friday, May 27, 2011

Anonymous

So. . . I don't know who said this. Nor does my reliable, much loved quote book. Even the internet is striking out. I do, however, know I ADORE this quote.

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. They will tell you no, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly.
And you will tell them YES."

The last few years have been challenging for me in many ways; financially and professionally to be sure. I was somebody who was fortunate enough to achieve financial and professional success as an actress in my early 20's. My late 20's and early 30's have not been so kind. Of course, times are tough for everybody. But worrying how one will pay the bills, about not having health insurance, where the next job is and when, etc - I think those are universal concerns, no matter what the economic climate is.

Of course, since I'm now dealing with the added "failure" of another break up, I'm quick to jump on the negative spiral. It surrounds me. In my life, in my friend's, in my family's, in the news. It just feels sometimes that there is no hope. 

Though today's quote is largely about determination, I find it to also be about hope. Without determination there is no hope. When things are tough, you have to be determined to get through it. You have to have courage to stand up and say "YES, things will get better." I am learning from this. This break up. This job loss. This financial struggle. This economy. Whatever it is. There is always a way to have hope.

I'm determined to have the courage to have hope. I know as I heal I eventually won't have to force that anymore. But for now, I refuse to let it take over. I am going to be brave (or as brave as I know how to be!) and say yes to all these changes in my life and take risks, albeit with some caution, to secure a better life for myself and those around me. 

Damn it, world. YES.